Kia introduces new Sportage as 4x2 sales surge ahead
By Kia New Zealand May 23rd 2014
Kia is celebrating the 21st birthday of its fast-selling Sportage with the introduction of another 4x2 model in response to popular demand.
“It is clear that increasing numbers of buyers who are drawn to the styling and versatility of an SUV, have no requirement for all-wheel-drive because they are predominantly used in urban areas, which has been demonstrated by the popularity of our 4x2 LX and EX Sportage models. So I have no doubt the new 4x2 Limited will enjoy similar support among Sportage buyers,” says Todd McDonald, General Manager of Kia Motors New Zealand.
Kia was among the first to introduce 4x2 SUV models to New Zealand with the second generation Sportage Urban.
While the popularity of two-wheel-drive SUVs continues to grow, all-wheel-drive models remain an important part of the Sportage range – there are two petrol (EX and Limited) and three diesel 4x4, with an LX model joining the EX and Limited in the line-up.
Today’s Sportage buyers now have the choice of two power plants; a new high-compression 2-litre GDi (Gasoline Direct Injection) petrol engine or the impressive 2.2-litre R-series turbo-diesel engine, both matched to a super-smooth 6-speed automatic with sequential shift.
Explore the full Sportage range now. <link to model page>
- Superior performance from the 2-litre, GDi engine from the ‘Nu’ range, which replaces the 2-litre MPi (multi-point injection) unit
- New soundproof windscreen, with an interlayer film between the glass laminations, to reduce wind noise
- Key engineering improvements to counter vibration
- Trailer stability control system for greater security when towing
- All-independent suspension engineered for local driving conditions
- Exterior styling tweaks including new mesh front grille, revised LED rear cluster lights, newly designed 17 and 18-inch alloy wheels and a shark fin roof antenna
- Safety features such as LED day-time running lights, rain-sensing wipers, reversing camera and front and rear parking sensors
- Long list of standard features with the Limited models – heated/electric front and rear-outboard seats, leather upholstery, cooling glovebox, dual zone climate control, proximity sensing key, Infinity sound system and satellite navigation
- 5-year/100,000km-warranty programme.
Photo caption: The new 2014 Kia Sportage has been enhanced with a new GDi engine and more refinements.